Road fatalities are some of the most common causes of accidental deaths in the world. While accidents cannot be foreseen, which is the whole point of vehicle insurance, many traffic accidents could have been preventable.
Here are 5 ways you can reduce your risks of getting into traffic accidents:
1. Never drive while impaired: Children, animals and traffic environments are all completely unpredictable. It’s safer to have a clear mind when you’re driving to ensure your safety and that of other road users. By now, it goes without saying, but your ability to react is greatly inhibited if you are drunk or under some other type of influence.
2. Be attentive to the road: Sadly, despite all the road safety awareness campaigns, distracted car accidents are all too common. One aspect of it is the false security given by handsfree devices. Your eyes are still off the road for a second or more, if you have to look down at your phone or skipping to your favourite song. Consider stopping at a safe location if you must answer that call or check on your kids fighting in the backseat.
3. Observe road signs: Road signs are not merely decorative landmarks but are there to give a warning of the situation ahead. 30KM is not a recommendation, it’s an obligation. Don’t be embarrassed to brush up on your road signs knowledge from the little green book every so often.
4. Limit your driving hours: It may be difficult if your job description is literally ‘driving’ but take regular breaks from driving. If you feel tired, it’s better to rest than to risk it. At all cost, avoid driving during poor weather conditions and if you can, limit your driving at night, as well.
5. Service your car regularly: Your risks go up with a malfunctioning car. Signs of brake troubles can include brake warning lights, grinding noises, burning smell, shaking wheel, vehicle pulling to one side etc. Keep an eye out on the warning lights on your dashboard, your tires, headlights and steering wheel, amongst some other troubling signs.
While accidents are mostly unforeseen, you can do your part to reduce your risks and to help protect other’s safety on the road. For additional protection, get a comprehensive motor insurance policy with Sacos Insurance Group. Call us on 4295000 or send an email to email@example.com.